These instructions cover the basic setup of a new website on SWDWeb.net for Kiwanis clubs that had previous service with Satori Web Design. If you did NOT have previous service with Satori Web Design, see Getting started with your new WordPress website. If you follow this list, your site will look much like our demo at kiwi.swdweb.net when you are done.
Dashboard: This is the home page for site administration. It is the top link in the lefthand menu for administration.
- Site Title: your site title was set during installation. However, you may enter a new title and save your changes by going to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Customize >> Site Identity.
- News menu items: we’ve already set up “news” categories that include News, Club History, and Sponsored Programs. To create a menu and submenu like the one in the demo go to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Menus. Open the Categories section of the accordion and add the news categories to the menu. For more information on how to manage menu items, see my post, Adding items to the menu. Drag the items to where you want them to appear in the menu.
- Officers: Before adding an Officers menu item, you must create a page for officers. Once the page exists, it can be added to the menu. Follow the instructions in my post Adding an officers page to the navigation menu.
- Committees: The Committees menu shown in the demo is an example of drop down menu using posts assigned to the Committees category. These posts will be created during the conversion process. You may add additional information to any of those posts by going to Dashboard >> Posts >> All Posts. Filter the list to show only your Committees category posts by changing the All Committees drop down to Committees and clicking Filter.
- Members: Your club must purchase the optional Member Features package to have this available. Member Features include an online member directory, message center available to all members, and member news. Add these pages to the menu at Dashboard >> Appearance >> Menus. Once the pages have been added to the menu, the features will be active.
- Member Login Form in Sidebar: If your club is using our Member Features package, you can add a handy login widget to the main sidebar as we’ve done in the demo. Go to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Customize >> Widgets >> Primary Sidebar.
- Click the Add a Widget button.
- Select (click) the Sidebar Login widget.
- Uncheck the Show register link checkbox (just to be safe)
- Leave the other options the same and click the Save and Publish button at the top
- Add Members: Go to Dashboard >> Club Administration >> Member Admin and upload your members. Instructions at Administer Members.
- Set Officers: Go to Dashboard >> Club Administration >> Officers. Instructions at Managing Officers.
- Set Committees: Go to Dashboard >> Club Administration >> Committees. Instructions at Managing Committee Members.